A Sampling of Toronto’s Diverse Communities
Toronto is famous for its immensely diverse communities; here is a small sampling of websites to represent some of those communities.
We encourage you to contact the Faculty Relocation Service with any of your particular needs.
- Toronto’s Neighbourhoods
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Communities
- Aboriginal/First Nations
- Multicultural Websites
- Specific Ethnic/Cultural/Religious Communities:
- University of Toronto Campus Communities
- Accessibility Services
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Communities
- Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, Trans People of U of T (LGBT-OUT)
- Toronto Gay Hockey Association – This link provides membership information, and scores.
- The 519 Church Street Community Centre Diverse programming for the LGBTQ community, including support groups, events, counselling and advocacy.
- Gay Fathers of Toronto (GFT) Peer support group and resources organized by and for gay men who are fathers.
- Gay Parent Magazine A resource for lesbians and gay men who are, or wish to be, parents.
- LGBTQ Parenting Network Promotes the rights and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and queer parents, prospective parents, and their families and children through education, research, outreach, and community organizing. We work with local, provincial, and federal organizations.
- XTRA News, views and arts and culture coverage by Canada’s leading gay and lesbian media organization and one of the most diversified gay media enterprises in the world.
- The Pink Pages Toronto’s online gay and lesbian directory.
- Children Of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere (COLAGE)
A social support group for students (grade three and up) with lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender parents.
- University of Toronto First Nations House
- Native Canadian Centre of Toronto
- Native Child and Family Services of Toronto
- Toronto.com contains a wide range of listings of restaurants, bars, shopping, community services, and religious services throughout Toronto’s various communities.
- Toronto Tourism – A site created and maintained by the Toronto Convention & Visitors Association, it provides a brief description of Toronto’s neighbourhoods.
- The Toronto Multicultural Calendar
- Accessibility Services at the University of Toronto – A service that upholds the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the University of Toronto’s Statement of Commitment to Persons with Disabilities.
- Abilities: Canada’s Lifestyle Magazine for people with Disabilities – includes information on employment, housing, transportation and entertainment.
- Share – An online newspaper serving the Black and Caribbean community of Toronto. Contains international and community news, sports, entertainment and community information.
- Black Business and Professional Association – Contains information on this Toronto based organization, its community events and a business directory.
- Caribana Toronto – Modelled after Carnival in Trinidad, this yearly parade and music festival celebrates Carribean culture with more than 1 million participants.
- Black Pages – The official guide to Canada’s Black and Carribean community.
East Asian Canadian
- Japan Foundation, Toronto – This group aims to promote the understanding of Japanese culture and lists events in Toronto and throughout Canada.
- Chinese Cultural Centre of Greater Toronto – A “non-profit, non-political organization with an objective to build a Chinese cultural centre for residents of the Greater Toronto Area.”
- Toronto’s Chinatown BIA
- Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre
- Atin Ito – Monthly Filipino newspaper.
South Asian Canadian
- Gerrard India Bazaar – The largest marketplace of South Asian goods and services in North America.
- The Weekly Voice – Canada’s largest South Asian newspaper.
- Toronto Ukranian Festival – North America’s largest Ukranian street festival.
- Russian-Canadian Cultural Aid Society (RCCAS)
- Italian Cultural Institute of Toronto – Lists upcoming community events and courses conducted by the Institute.
- Greek Community of Metropolitan Toronto (GCMT) – This site represents over 120,000 Canadians of Hellenic descent in the city of Toronto.
- Greektown on the Danforth – This website aims to represent the “largest Greek community in North America,” lists upcoming events and contains a business directory.
- Oktoberfest – Canada’s largest Bavarian festival.
- Toronto Hispano – A website in Spanish. Includes entertainment, events, sports, job postings, forums and more.
Middle Eastern Canadian
- Iranian Women’s Organization of Ontario
- CanadaTurk – The leading Turkish-language newspaper in Canada.
- Council of Agencies Serving South Asians – A listing of temples in the Toronto area.
- Toronto Kalibari
- Vishnu Mandir Temple
- Guru Gobind Singh Children’s Foundation – A Foundation run by children/youth with a vision to help other children meet their basic needs, while adding meaning to their lives, and carrying out the work in the spirit of the teachings of Sikh Gurus.
- World Sikh Organization of Canada
- Canadian Sikh Coalition
- B’nai Brith Canada (advocacy and service)
- Downtown Jewish Community School – An independent school affiliated with The Centre for Jewish Education of UJA Federation of Toronto.
- Downtown Toronto’s Reform Jewish Community – City Shul
- Catholic Community in Toronto – Includes links to Archdiocese, Schools and Institutions of Higher Learning, Hospitals, Charitable Organizations, Religious Orders, Retreat & Pilgrimage Centres.
- Diocese of Toronto – The largest diocese in the Anglican Church of Canada. Contains News, Events, Parishes, links, and more.
- Toronto Baptist Ministries
- United Church of Canada (Presbyterian)