A Sampling of Toronto’s Diverse Communities
Toronto is famous for its immensely diverse communities; here is a small sampling of websites to represent some of those communities.
We encourage you to contact the Faculty Relocation Service with any of your particular needs.
- Toronto’s Neighbourhoods
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Communities
- Indigenous/First Nations
- Multicultural Websites
- Specific Ethnic/Cultural/Religious Communities:
- University of Toronto Campus Communities
- Accessibility Services
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Communities
- The 519 Church Street Community Centre Diverse programming for the LGBTQ community, including support groups, events, counselling and advocacy.
- Gay Fathers of Toronto (GFT) Peer support group and resources organized by and for gay men who are fathers.
- 2SLGBTQ Family Resources Program promotes the rights and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and queer parents, prospective parents, and their families and children through education, research, outreach, and community organizing.
- XTRA News, views and arts and culture coverage by Canada’s leading gay and lesbian media organization and one of the most diversified gay media enterprises in the world.
- The Pink Pages Toronto’s online gay and lesbian directory.
- University of Toronto First Nations House
- Native Canadian Centre of Toronto
- Native Child and Family Services of Toronto
- Toronto.com contains a wide range of listings of restaurants, bars, shopping, community services, and religious services throughout Toronto’s various communities.
- Toronto Tourism – A site created and maintained by the Toronto Convention & Visitors Association, it provides a brief description of Toronto’s neighbourhoods.
- The Toronto Multicultural Calendar
- Accessibility Services at the University of Toronto – A service that upholds the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the University of Toronto’s Statement of Commitment to Persons with Disabilities.
- Abilities: Canada’s Lifestyle Magazine for people with Disabilities – includes information on employment, housing, transportation and entertainment.
- Share – An online newspaper serving the Black and Caribbean community of Toronto. Contains international and community news, sports, entertainment and community information.
- Black Business and Professional Association – Contains information on this Toronto based organization, its community events and a business directory.
- Caribana Toronto – Modelled after Carnival in Trinidad, this yearly parade and music festival celebrates Carribean culture with more than 1 million participants.
East Asian Community
- Japan Foundation, Toronto – This group aims to promote the understanding of Japanese culture and lists events in Toronto and throughout Canada.
- Chinese Cultural Centre of Greater Toronto – A “non-profit, non-political organization with an objective to build a Chinese cultural centre for residents of the Greater Toronto Area.”
- Toronto’s Chinatown BIA
- Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre
- Atin Ito – Monthly Filipino newspaper.
South Asian Community
- Gerrard India Bazaar – The largest marketplace of South Asian goods and services in North America.
- The Weekly Voice – Canada’s largest South Asian newspaper.
- Toronto Ukranian Festival – North America’s largest Ukranian street festival.
- Russian-Canadian Cultural Aid Society (RCCAS)
- Italian Cultural Institute of Toronto – Lists upcoming community events and courses conducted by the Institute.
- Greek Community of Metropolitan Toronto (GCMT) – This site represents over 120,000 Canadians of Hellenic descent in the city of Toronto.
- Greektown on the Danforth – This website aims to represent the “largest Greek community in North America,” lists upcoming events and contains a business directory.
- Oktoberfest – Canada’s largest Bavarian festival.
- Toronto Hispano – A website in Spanish. Includes entertainment, events, sports, job postings, forums and more.
Middle Eastern Community
- Iranian Women’s Organization of Ontario
- CanadaTurk – The leading Turkish-language newspaper in Canada.
- Council of Agencies Serving South Asians – A listing of temples in the Toronto area.
- Toronto Kalibari
- Vishnu Mandir Temple
- Guru Gobind Singh Children’s Foundation – A Foundation run by children/youth with a vision to help other children meet their basic needs, while adding meaning to their lives, and carrying out the work in the spirit of the teachings of Sikh Gurus.
- World Sikh Organization of Canada
- B’nai Brith Canada (advocacy and service)
- Downtown Toronto’s Reform Jewish Community – City Shul
- Discover Jewish Toronto
- Catholic Community in Toronto – Includes links to Archdiocese, Schools and Institutions of Higher Learning, Hospitals, Charitable Organizations, Religious Orders, Retreat & Pilgrimage Centres.
- Diocese of Toronto – The largest diocese in the Anglican Church of Canada. Contains News, Events, Parishes, links, and more.
- Toronto Baptist Ministries
- United Church of Canada